CORRECTIONAL EDUCATION PROGRAM TEACHER - #8343900
State of Arizona
LOCATION ALERT - This position is located at the Arizona State Prison Complex – Lewis which is between Buckeye and Gila Bend; this is 55 miles from central Phoenix.
The Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation & Reentry (ADCRR) is seeking an ARIZONA CERTIFIED ELEMENTARY, SECONDARY, or SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER to provide instruction in High School academic subjects to inmates who have not achieved a high school diploma
- Implements teacher-designed lesson plans and exhibits collaboration between classroom and Special Education teachers
- Makes academic assessments, tracks progress, and maintains accurate educational records
- Develops and corrects diagnostic tests
- Uses effective classroom management techniques and ensures the security of all testing instruments
- Provides monthly work evaluations to management and consults with highly qualified teachers on subject matter concerns or questions
- Escorts and supervises inmates, tutors, aids, or clerks in the educational building/classroom
- Drives on State business
- Performs other duties appropriate to the assignment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- Laws, rules, regulations, and policies governing education and teaching
- Current instructional methodologies and counseling techniques
- Appropriate testing procedures and interpretation of specific tests
- Personal computer and software sufficient to perform daily tasks
- Written and verbal communication
- Teaching and facilitation
- Establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships
- Multi-tasking and organization
- Time management
- Work in a prison environment
- Provide academic instruction and counseling to inmates
- Provide individual and group instruction and education counseling
- Work cooperatively with other education staff
- Learn and adhere to departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Highly Qualified Status in Social Studies, Language Arts, English, or Math
- Structured English Immersion (SEI) endorsement
- Previous instruction in High School Math
- Candidates must have a Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university, and a current valid Arizona Department of Education (ADE) Teaching Certificate in the approved area of Elementary, Secondary and Special Education.
- Requires possession of, and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
- Arizona Department of Public Safety Fingerprint Card
Employment is contingent on the selected applicant passing a background investigation and a drug test.
Effective August 1, 2019, an applicant’s employment will also be contingent on the successful completion of a medical/physical examination
We offer an excellent and affordable comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees:
- Vacation and sick days with 10 paid holidays per year
- Robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability options
- Exceptional retirement program
- Optional employee benefits such as deferred compensation plans, credit union membership, and a wellness program
- An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Positions in this classification participate in the Correctional Officer Retirement Program (CORP). Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) fully vested teachers can request a waiver to remain in ASRS
Current ADCRR Employees: Consult with your respective Human Resources Liaison if you are in a different retirement plan than the one indicated above.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-255-2430.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.